Welcome to my blog!

I used to blog here mostly using local photos about my neighborhood or Washington DC or other places I visited. But over time I found myself blogging about crafts or sewing projects or my activities as a seller of collectibles on Ebay (look my stuff up under Mugsim7) or other topics, such as selling my beautiful old Victorian townhouse. Occasionally, I take a break from blogging so you won't see anything regularly. But I'm still have fun writing it. May your days be blessed with miracles, and creativity too!

Friday, July 9, 2010

Train To DC

Today I took the Amtrak Acela fast express train to/from DC and Philadelphia and enjoyed having Internet access even though the WiFi was a bit slow. The seats were very comfortable and roomy and the trip up, at least, was all that it should be for the extra price -- over a regional train seat cost -- that I paid. The trip back was delayed by about half an hour because of "police activity on the line" was what they first told me. Ever inquisitive, I asked for more and it turned out someone had been killed while trespassing on the track,  north of Philadelphia, God rest this poor soul!  There were a lot of TSA and train police guys visible for the wait, as I guess they investigate things right away.  The tragedy was enough to delay all the late afternoon and evening trains so my "express" train back to DC ended up about 45 minutes late and for a good portion of the journey moved quite slowly. Because of the death, it seemed I noticed how open and exposed the rail tracks are to any passerby. While there are fences, it doesn't take much to climb onto train lines. But I was blessed by a number of spectacular scenic views, including one stretch in Delaware where there is water on either side of the train and the train tracks seem barely above the water level. Ducks, fishing boats, ripples and reeds and lily pads were all to be seen, making for unexpected sights while returning home. I checked the news later and found out the incident occurred in Woodbridge, NJ but not a lot of details were supplied.

No comments:

Post a Comment