Welcome to my blog!

I used to blog here mostly using local photos about my neighborhood or Washington DC or other places I visited. But over time I found myself blogging about crafts or sewing projects or my activities as a seller of collectibles on Ebay (look my stuff up under Mugsim7) or other topics, such as selling my beautiful old Victorian townhouse. Occasionally, I take a break from blogging so you won't see anything regularly. But I'm still have fun writing it. May your days be blessed with miracles, and creativity too!

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Seeing Art Deco in Downtown WashingtonDC

Going home on the bus recently, I glanced out the window and snapped a shot of the old Greyhound bus terminal building on its 11th street side. I am very glad some preservationists fought the good fight to ensure this landmark didn't get torn down in some improvement scheme. I remember reading and hearing about this when I first moved to DC and was glad when they won Historic Building status in 1987. You can read some history of the building here or see some historic photos here.  Of course it's no longer a bus terminal and the entrance serves as an entryway to another much bigger edifice -- and there's other businesses using the window space --  but nevertheless, in my mind, it's important to keep pieces of the past around us, especially when they are so distinctive and evoke a different time and place so strongly. And I've always been a fan of that guy Art Deco! Apparently, there's a museum in the lobby at 1100 New York Avenue that I'll be sure to go and visit some time. And kudos and big thanks to the people who fight to keep our history with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment