Welcome to my blog!

I used to blog here mostly using local photos about my neighborhood or Washington DC or other places I visited. But over time I found myself blogging about crafts or sewing projects or my activities as a seller of collectibles on Ebay (look my stuff up under Mugsim7) or other topics, such as selling my beautiful old Victorian townhouse. Occasionally, I take a break from blogging so you won't see anything regularly. But I'm still have fun writing it. May your days be blessed with miracles, and creativity too!

Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Easter Eggs And Hot Cross Buns


It was that lovely time of spring when it's Easter so I just had to make hot cross buns on Good Friday. To me the tradition is all about the cross being on the buns and making the day special using a food.  The real trick for me was to make them without wheat flour or sugar, so I scoured the internet and came up with a great recipe.  It was a keto/paleo type recipe which is just fine for me who doesn't eat sugar or wheat flour. And it turned out I had all the necessary ingredients at hand and they made up quickly.  I did make cream cheese icing too and put it in the crosses.  These actually came out really well and tasted great!

Another Eastertide tradition at my home is to make some dyed hardboiled eggs.  Now, this is something I usually do with my son as we have fun dipping them in the colored waters and decorating the egg shells. Apparently, eggs symbolize resurrection and the cracking of eggs something to do with Jesus coming out of the tomb but I'm a bit hazy on the origins of this tradition. But this year it was the time of the Covad19 pandemic and he was sheltering in place at his apartment so I made them by myself (sadly).

But I had some large white eggs and got out the food dye and dip stuff and made about half a dozen.  And so some of them ended up as part of our Easter decorations. I happened to have a couple of cute stuffed bunny rabbits so it seemed a good idea to put the eggs in front of the bunnies.  I have no idea where the idea of rabbits come from for Easter although I think it has something to do with rabbits being prolific and Easter signals new life. A catholic website asserts the tradition that rabbits are associated with the Virgin Mary, however, as the Greeks, apparently, believed that rabbits could reproduce asexually, so early Greco-Christians may have made that association.

So those eggs have been quietly demolished the past few days, showing up sliced on toast for breakfast and in egg salad sandwiches at lunch.  

No comments:

Post a Comment