Welcome to my blog!

I used to blog here mostly using local photos about my neighborhood or Washington DC or other places I visited. But over time I found myself blogging about crafts or sewing projects or my activities as a seller of collectibles on Ebay (look my stuff up under Mugsim7) or other topics, such as selling my beautiful old Victorian townhouse. Occasionally, I take a break from blogging so you won't see anything regularly. But I'm still have fun writing it. May your days be blessed with miracles, and creativity too!

Saturday, September 11, 2010

September 11 Garden Update

Monarch on clematis
Begonias, geraniums and myrtles
Roses still blooming
The Creator has been at work in the front garden again!  It is still flowering with begonias, geraniums, marigolds, myrtles and some colorful things whose names I have forgotten. And, there's that amazing rose bush that gives us an unlimited supply of tiny red scented roses as long as I give it gallons of water to drink each week. Now that the weather  is cooler, we can sit on the front porch and notice our other neighbors.  There's a family of monarch butterflies living in the scented wild white clematis and there's some bright yellow and some white butterflies also flitting about.  There are some very giant bumble bees busy doing the nectar thing and for once, the mosquitos and flies seem to have abated. I've also caught sight of some humming birds hovering among the blossoms too, also having a go at the nectar from the Roses of Sharon and the wild clematis. As a basically lazy gardener, I believe the secret to having a garden full of flowers is to only plant things that you can take care of without too much aggravation and that are "easy." It's worth checking out what the neighbors are able to grow as soil and local climate have a big impact, especially on what kinds of trees and bushes are possible. Then sun and water are the main considerations.  I usually bring all the geraniums and begonias in over the winter, sticking them in one big pot each and leave it in a sunny window and water them moderately to avoid root rot during the no-grow winter season. They limp through the winter until I'm able to get them outside again in early spring. I've learned to take cuttings and root things, so I can always have more of what I've already got and I accept all donated plants! And of course, anything that seeds, harvest them and keep over the winter in dry spot in a brown paper bag so you can plant them in the spring, Every year the garden resurrects and it's different every time!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment