Welcome to my blog!

I used to blog here mostly using local photos about my neighborhood or Washington DC or other places I visited. But over time I found myself blogging about crafts or sewing projects or my activities as a seller of collectibles on Ebay (look my stuff up under Mugsim7) or other topics, such as selling my beautiful old Victorian townhouse. Occasionally, I take a break from blogging so you won't see anything regularly. But I'm still have fun writing it. May your days be blessed with miracles, and creativity too!

Monday, August 9, 2010

Orphan Garden on 16th St NW

I regularly wait for a bus at the corner of P and 16th streets NW and spotted this little orphan garden on the northwest corner. It was filled with sunflowers and some other plants and clearly was regularly tended by some loving neighbor. The yellow stakes around the edge warned off the peeing dogs and I suspect that someone had drawn the graffiti scarecrow person on the grey switch box also to scare off intruders. I know this orphan garden was watered often because anyone who has ever grown sunflowers know they are total guzzlers and will droop over the minute they get thirsty.  These flowers were happily growing and lovely to look at and the seeds will feed some birds, for sure. So someone planted this and the rest of us get to enjoy their stewardship.

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps, like you, the gardens at 16th and P, NW, Washington DC have, for years been of interest to me as captured in this ongoing photo album at http://www.flickr.com/photos/perspective/sets/72157632063476563/with/9256946743/.

    A few yards west on P is also at MAY PEACE PREVAIL ON EARTH Pole Garden which I knew nothing of until I started to photograph it as captured at http://www.flickr.com/photos/perspective/sets/72157627573881670/.

    Similarly, I've also captured the Steve and Phil Garden the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue and P Street at Dupont Circle East at http://www.flickr.com/photos/perspective/sets/72157606479142829/

    I learned a few weeks ago that STEVE and PHIL are also responsible for maintaining the garden at the corner of 16th and P, NW, DC.

    I'm still trying to find out if they also maintain the Peace Pole Garden. If my research is correct it is more connected with the church.

    Best regards,

    Elvert

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for your comment and follow-up! it is most appreciated. I looked at your photos and they are great too!

    ReplyDelete