Welcome to my blog!

I used to blog here mostly using local photos about my neighborhood or Washington DC or other places I visited. But over time I found myself blogging about crafts or sewing projects or my activities as a seller of collectibles on Ebay (look my stuff up under Mugsim7) or other topics, such as selling my beautiful old Victorian townhouse. Occasionally, I take a break from blogging so you won't see anything regularly. But I'm still have fun writing it. May your days be blessed with miracles, and creativity too!

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Stupendous Amaryllis Blooms in Bloomingdale Kitchen!

The first blossom opens
Amaryllis almost fully opened
About three weeks ago I bought a very large amaryllis bulb for $9.99 in Walmart. The bulb was huge: about 4.5 inches in diameter and 3 inches thick. I stuck it in soil per the instructions and lightly watered it for a while and watched a lot of green shoots growing up quite quickly. I hoped it would bloom at Christmas, since the package said it would be a big red flower. This week, it has budded and at least one of the flowers has opened.  There are still three buds to open yet and there's a second flower stem as well which might open into another classic 4-flower head. In fact, there may even be another flower stem sprouting. So it's in the kitchen and I said to my husband, "Have you seen the amaryllis flower I've been growing in the kitchen? It's flowering." I should mention as an aside here that Hubster often doesn't notice things that I've changed in the house -- like the curtains, or a string of Christmas lights I've hung up, or a new wreath on the front door, but that's a guy for you -- anyway, back to the amaryllis. So off he trundled into the kitchen and gasped when he saw it, calling out "It's stupendous!"  Well, I agree, it's the largest one I've ever grown. And this is just the first flower! What a wondrous thing a flower bulb is!

3 comments:

  1. I bought Michele an Amarylis about 5 -6 Christmasses ago as a prezzie and about 8 months ago last Spring she mentioned it to me and said that she still had it and that it blooms every year, so maybe yours has finally woken up and realised that it is supposed to flower. I've currently put my potted Fuschia plant in the garage to go dormant for the winter, I just hope it wakes up in the Spring! Aren't flowers amazing and sometimes all it takes is just a little water and some BabyBio feeder to bring them back again, plus the right sort of light & temperature (which is very important apparently).

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, I bought the bulb in Walmart about 5 weeks ago and just followed the directions and hey presto !chango it's this magnificent thing

    ReplyDelete
  3. flowers are so nice to have the house when they are real ones!

    ReplyDelete