Welcome to my blog!

I used to blog here mostly using local photos about my neighborhood or Washington DC or other places I visited. But over time I found myself blogging about crafts or sewing projects or my activities as a seller of collectibles on Ebay (look my stuff up under Mugsim7) or other topics, such as selling my beautiful old Victorian townhouse. Occasionally, I take a break from blogging so you won't see anything regularly. But I'm still have fun writing it. May your days be blessed with miracles, and creativity too!

Friday, October 22, 2010

No Bobbies in DC

You might see some double decker red buses whizzing around filled with tourists in DC but you are not going to see a couple of London policemen with their anti-cosh round helmets standing on the corner calling in on their wireless devices. These two were near Trafalgar Square when I was there recently and they were busy reporting in to HQ using their wireless devices. They wore very serious expressions and were heavily armed, including wearing bulletproof vests. In fact, due to the elevated emergency alert, I saw a lot of security in London. When we got off the plane two army soldiers guarded the shopping mall at Heathrow Airport, once we'd made it through Passport Control.  They were carrying machine guns and had bands of bullets slung around their shoulders.  They did not make eye contact with anyone and gave the impression, by their stance and set of the jaw, that they would shoot anyone who was determined upon terrorist activity.. At the train stations, we also saw more security guards and policemen than we usually do. They were very good at monitoring the crowds managing to never catch your eye but very alert and watchful every time a train pulled in or out. The crowds were dense, so I imagine their job was quite difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment