Welcome to my blog!

I used to blog here mostly using local photos about my neighborhood or Washington DC or other places I visited. But over time I found myself blogging about crafts or sewing projects or my activities as a seller of collectibles on Ebay (look my stuff up under Mugsim7) or other topics, such as selling my beautiful old Victorian townhouse. Occasionally, I take a break from blogging so you won't see anything regularly. But I'm still have fun writing it. May your days be blessed with miracles, and creativity too!

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Those Guys in Orange on First Street NW

Wandered down First Street NW today to go vote in the DC general election and found myself focusing my camera on the guys in orange working on the water tunnel projects.  I was fascinated by all the equipment they were operating and how much of the road they had dug up. These guys are doing some dangerous-looking work so I asked a friendly supervisor worker how things were going. I heard that they were pretty much on schedule and so far none of the workers have been hurt. I asked about what I was seeing and it turned out they were digging out dirty old gas pipes. I then talked to another project guy working on Adams St NW and he mentioned that he'd been with the company that dug some of the tunnels for the Metro system and he'd worked on tunnels all over the U.S.  So, I'm thinking the workers on this project are experienced and seem to be doing a good job and we should be friendly and say "hi" when we can despite our feelings about the dirt, dust, noise, drillings, the road closures and detours.


 

2 comments:

  1. That's great that you get to chat with them rather than some unpleasant wolf-whistling situation. However, get that bit where they go all over the US to do this kind of work, that can't be easy on their families, presumably they get paid a lot, do they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know but you can be sure a lot of the taxpayers' money has changed hands.

    ReplyDelete