Welcome to my blog!

I used to blog here mostly using local photos about my neighborhood or Washington DC or other places I visited. But over time I found myself blogging about crafts or sewing projects or my activities as a seller of collectibles on Ebay (look my stuff up under Mugsim7) or other topics, such as selling my beautiful old Victorian townhouse. Occasionally, I take a break from blogging so you won't see anything regularly. But I'm still have fun writing it. May your days be blessed with miracles, and creativity too!

Friday, June 25, 2010

Buses Are Hidden Secret of Getting around DC


Even though I sometimes grump about the Metro bus system here in DC, I have to say overall I really enjoy going by bus because I can pretty much go anywhere I want and not have to wait too long. Also, I'm slightly claustrophobic in tunnels so the underground Metro isn't for me. And busses are cheaper by at least 75 cents per ride. Because I'm familiar with at least five or six bus routes I know which ones to hop on for short rides across town. Today, rather than take a cab, I left a meeting, crossed the street, a bus was waiting, I got on and it took me to within a block and half of where I wanted to go. That's fine by me. Door-to-door is luxury and doesn't help me get the daily walking exercise I need. Bus riding really isn't for when I'm in a big hurry as it requires a little planning and allowance for time. With the new "Next Bus" system, you can call and find out when the next bus is going to arrive at a particular stop, but you have to know the bus stop Code Number and if you are not standing at it you won't know it. I've got the Next Bus phone number programmed into my cell phone and use that to reassure myself I won't be waiting forever. Most of the buses on the routes I take have been upgraded or are the new models so the air-conditioning is spanking cold and the seats haven't been messed up by CARELESS INSENSITIVE people spilling their drinks so the condition of the bus is good. See blog on Thirsty Bus Passengers. The worst is to get onto a bus in the summer without air conditioning, with the windows jammed shut by CARELESS INSENSITIVE people sticking their chewed gum into the window ledge, and somehow the HEAT IS ON. That's murder! The buses are all accessible too so it's easy for wheelchair users to get on and off with the newer folding-out ramps. I also like the view from bus windows and see and learn more about the city that way. Thank God for buses that work and are cool in the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment